About LIAS Glossary
This glossary provides aims to provide definitions for the terms used in descriptions and during identification of lichens and ascomycetes, especially those terms used in the character and character state definitions of LIAS. It is under ongoing development and we ask all interested researchers to excuse incompleteness and errors.
The glossary is written by native and non-native speakers. If you are a native speaker please help in improving the definitions. Please keep in mind, however, that non-native speakers may occasionally need less concise definitions, and may need definitions of terms a native speaker may take for granted.
The origin of this glossary are both the LIAS character definitions and glossary definitions for the "Lichen Flora of the Greater Sonoran Desert Region". Please refer to About versions for detailed information about the history of the LIAS glossary.
Dedicated to the memory of Bruce Douglas Ryan (* September 13, 1950; † January 22, 2004).
The glossary is running on a collaboration platform (a "Wiki"). It is running on the biowikifarm server. LIAS glossary is a subproject of LIAS collaborating with GBIF-D Fungi & Lichens and Mycology.net projects.
- Frank Bungartz (original authorship & content management)
Charles Darwin Foundation (CDF), Galápagos, Ecuador
- Gregor Hagedorn (technical realization & content management)
Museum für Naturkunde, Berlin, Germany
- Gerhard Rambold (lead editor for LIAS)
Universität Bayreuth, Germany
- Bruce D. Ryan, Tempe, Arizona, U. S. A.
- Frank Bungartz, Porto Ayora, Galápagos, Ecuador
- Peter Döbbeler, München, Germany
- Gregor Hagedorn, Berlin, Germany
- Maria Herrera de los Angeles Campos, Mexico City, México
- Kerry Knudsen, California, U. S. A.
- Tom Nash, Tempe, Arizona, U. S. A.
- Gerhard Rambold, Bayreuth, Germany
Please see Contact if you are interested to revise or add text or image to the glossary)
Ryan, B. D.; Bungartz, F.; Hagedorn, G. & Rambold, G. (eds.) 2005 onwards. LIAS glossary – A Wiki-based Online Dictionary for Ascomycete Terminology used by LIAS, the Global Information System for Lichenized and Non-Lichenized Ascomycetes. http://glossary.lias.net/.